I was asked by a client if I could remove the oil & dirt stains from her antique cream coloured sofa. At this point mild alarm bells started ringing as I know that jobs like this can turn out to be quite disastrous. I dropped by and did a test patch to see if my products were up to the challenge and as expected a couple of days later I received a phone call from my client stating that she now had a clean spot on her sofa that was not previously there.
I returned to my clients house and proceeded to attempt the stain removal with the same product on the rest of the stained area. I was using a spotter with a hydrogen peroxide base so my result was never going to be instantaneous. I left and waited a few days for a positive phone call.
Finally a call… Sorry Steve it’s better but it’s still not right, doh! On my return I noticed quite an improvement and a fairly happy client. I repeated the treatment and again took flight thinking as I drove off how the hell can you successfully quote on a job like this one. It has been 3 days since my last visit and I’m a little hesitant to call her as I would like to assume that no news is good news. Fingers crossed, I’ll keep you posted on a positive outcome… I told you this was like the ‘Never Ending Story’